B.S. Psychology - University of Santo Tomas
Note: It is rightful to introduce IDs so that one can now the basic principles on why and how each person differs not only in terms of intelligence but also in terms of total well-being.
PRINCIPLE OF INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES
- No two (2) human beings are exactly alike.
- Understanding and appreciation of complexity and uniqueness of the human personality is different in each individual.
CAUSATIONS OF I.Ds.
Ψ Heredity (genes and the nature of man)
Ψ Environment (nurture)
Ψ Training (all life areas)
Ψ Effort of will (capacity to direct and restrain thought, action and emotion)
THEORIES OF INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES
Theory of Correlation
ü study of the presence and degree of relationship between variables
ü establishes the degree of ID
Theory of Compensation
ü when a person utilizes extra energy to alleviate the tensions caused by a real or imagined defect it forms positive (develops potential strength & covering up weaknesses) and negative (boasting & attempting to become over-humorous/ a clown) compensation
ü can be direct (overcome weaknesses) or indirect (excel in other field) compensation
ATTRIBUTES OF I.Ds.
1. Variability – the characteristics of being subjected to change. Organisms within specie vary their pattern of adaptive behavior.
2. Different rates of growth and development
3. Heredity and environmental influence